Friday, February 17, 2012

The Unknown. A constant search...

“Men shall speak of the might of your awesome acts, and I will declare Your greatness.”

The whole thing is a mystery to me. I think about the creation of the entire universe. Can art save the world? I say yes to this fact because the earth, this entire planet, is a work of art in and of itself. You and I along with what we see and don't see are connected to a greater entity that is Divine in might. The whole creation! I'm talking about everything. It's all part of the cosmos connection; the abstract spiritual, metaphysical ideas of this creation and why it was created in the first place because it's a work of art in progress.

The changing of the seasons is art. The way the sky changes itself every moment is an equivocal question with many answers to the question of why it's happening. Here in Europe I've come across the works of Rudolf Steiner. A man who I believe was ahead of his time, but at the same time all things in time. From what I have read and seen of his works, I'm in deep search of trying to understand spirit law and why we create art in the first place. The discourse of the unknown is very relevant to the subconscious. The unknown is what we're in search of but we don't know it.

Dr. Steiner was a philosopher, artist and educator. He was a man with strong convictions and one who believed in reincarnation. Rudolf Steiner was born in 1861 and died in 1925 in Hungary, which is now Croatia. I've had the opportunity of being exposed to Steiner’s black board drawings. I find the work to be gratifying and playful. The dark background reminds me of outer space or nothingness. Then there is the magic of color that makes me think about the childlike quality in all of us…. In some of the drawings, I see two extremes, one of which is light colors on top of a dark background surface. The work is very simple in the application but complex in the thought process. There are no limits or boundaries to the works.

Rudolf Steiner says that, "our actions are part of the overall world affairs,” and as I conclude or try to sum up my thoughts about the work, one thing I believe for sure, he was free to search out the unknown in himself. What is art today and will it be something else tomorrow? Yes and yes because tomorrow IS something else.

I was so inspired by the work that I went back a second time to see the exhibition at the Vitra design Museum in Germany. The work hypnotized me again. It took my mind on a journey through time and space. The work is intuitive and naïve, created in a way where it made me question myself about life and who is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment