Thursday, February 9, 2012

Revelation #1

It seems like time sped up in a way and this week has come to an end already. The whole week was interesting and I made a discovery out here in Europe. I came upon a project here in Basel similar to my own. There is a house here that looks like one of the Heidelberg houses. Hmmm…. I found myself not believing what I was seeing and my emotions heated up with excitement.


This discovery came as a surprise to me. In the book of Ecclesiastes it says, “There is nothing new under the sun.” I believe stumbling upon this art house out here validates this very point about there is nothing new under sun. I know now that it was meant for me to come here to Basel and to witness that I was not alone in my efforts to take my work to another dimension and to challenge the status quo.

However, I find that I'm caught between two opinions. There is the secular world and then there is what some would call the outsider or intuitive art. But what is art really and do you have to put it in a museum or a gallery in order for it to be art. I say no to that claim, again I say no to the fact of the matter.


What about the prehistoric art, the cave drawings? Are they still relevant today and if so, why? I know that the past is supposed to be important to us for many reasons when it comes to art in general but what about tomorrow, the art of tomorrow? For me, creating the Heidelberg project was my way of pushing the boundaries, to see what was possible in this endeavor of creating my own personal artwork.


As I conclude this blog, in the book of Genesis 1-27, "God created man in his own image; in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Just like the house out here in Basel, someone pushed the boundaries and what came out, from my estimation, is just pure magic beyond measure, like God when he created mankind in his own image and likeness. What IS art today?

No comments:

Post a Comment